History of the League

Overview:


The TDCA is the largest cricket league in Canada and North America. It consist of 5 divisions, 60+ clubs equaling 100+ teams and over 1200 registered players. Not only is the TDCA the largest league in North America, but it boast some of the best playing facilities in the World, a total of 25 playing grounds, most notably is the Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club, home of the Shara Cup, and the recent Toronto Cricket Festival between West Indies, Pakistan and India. The level/quality of cricket played in the TDCA league is second to none in Canada. This fact is re enforced annually when the selection of the Canadian National Team is announce, with an average 80%-90% of players from the TDCA. The scheduling of the teams is based on a round robin system, with each team in a conference / division playing each other twice (2) in a season.

  

Historical Look


Cricket has a long association with the city of Toronto going back to 1827 when the prestigious Toronto Cricketing Club was formed by George A. Barder who is now known as father of Canadian cricket. Prior to this time cricket had been played at the Home District Grammar School which was founded in 1807 and was located on the block between Richmond and Adelaide Streets, midway between Jarvis and Church Streets. Most of the early matches played in Toronto were of a friendly nature but towards the end of the last century the church and Mercantile League was formed and the sport was then played on a more organized basis.

 

The Toronto & District Cricket Association as we now know it, was formed on Tuesday, November 30, 1920 when a meeting was held at the Sons of England Hall in downtown Toronto by what was then called the Toronto & District Cricket Council. The famous Canadian pace-bowler H.G. (Bob) Wookey was elected President fellow officers included K. Dean, Secretary/Treasurer and H.C. Charlesworth, Recording secretary. The executive Committee consisted of the following, Messers W. Paris, G.B. Wood, W. Garrett and F.C. Venables. At a further meeting held at the same location on Tuesday, April 7, 1921 it was decided the league would consist of the following 20 clubs:

1.West Toronto

2.St. Cyprians

3.Island

4.Kentish Assoc.

5.Broadview

6.Woodgreen

7.St. Barnabas

8.Albion

9.St. George

10.St. Chads

11.West Indian

12.Rosedale

13.Yorkshire

14.Parkdale

15.Grand Trunk

16.Dovercourt

17.Northerns

18.Grace Church

19.Toronto Cricket Club

20.St. Edmunds

 

The old city League Cup was replaced by the Continental Life Trophy and records indicate that first winner was the Grace Church Cricket Club in 1922. It is unclear as to what happened in 1921, a search to date has failed to find a trophy winner for that season. In 1977 the title of the league was changed from Council to Association for legal reasons.

Over the years there have been many outstanding personal performances, but two stand out in recent times. During the 1983 season right-arm medium pacer Stephen Gould turned in the outstanding bowling figures of 10 for 18 off 10 overs for Grace Church Cricket Club against Civics Cricket Club. In the summer of 1990 right-hand Canadian international batsman Don Maxwell set a new national batting record when he scored 280 not out for York University Cricket Club against Commonwealth Cricket Club.

Through the years the famous Toronto Cricket Club has dominated the Toronto & District Cricket Association competition and to the present time has won over 30 titles in the various divisions. Written by Kevin Boller, a writer and Public Relations Officer of the Canadian Cricket Association.